Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Anais and Henry

***I used to be obsessed with Anais Nin. "Henry and June: A Journal of Love" was one of my favorite books throughout high school. Hell, I named my cats after them! But if you haven't read the book... don't be surprised if this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to you.

While my life was taking place
Paris crept through my window
and settled in my room.
This Paris belongs to Anais and Henry,
and there are no crimes but those of passion.
Because what is the point of doing
anything
if you are not passionate about it?

While I read my book
at a cafe table overlooking the water
I think I see Anais, satisfied,
nodding in my direction.
Henry disapproves- the scene is too romantic for him-
and he hurries Anais away to a hotel
where he will teach her everything she will ever really learn
about love.
Meanwhile, I close my dog-eared and underlined copy of
"A Journal of Love"
and nod back to Anais.
She knows I think she out to get rid of Henry-
he is, after all, an overbearing egotist
but she just smiles, shakes her head,
and follows Henry out of the room,
shutting the door behind her.

**PS: I guess this can make sense out of context. Who hasn't done exactly what they shouldn't in the name of love?

No comments:

Post a Comment